The term “Plain Jane” is used to denote an average woman, someone who isn’t particularly striking or unique. That said, it also hints at something else—it’s Mary Jane, but without any of the nonsense.
Plain Jane is not your average or generic retailer. It is a website that sells high quality, organic hemp flowers, offering the goodness and taste of premium hemp, without any of the THC.
Based in Southern Oregon, Plain Jane has shipped smokable flowers, CBD oils, CBD topicals, and other products to over 75,000 customers across the United States. It’s one of the Beaver State’s biggest hemp retailers, and in this review, we’ll look at the brand’s growing selection of hemp and CBD products.
About Plain Jane
Plain Jane was founded by Evan Marshall and Duane Dennis in April 2018. It got off to a relatively slow start, but experienced big growth in 2019 and then exploded in 2020. In fact, as far as we can tell, most of its sales have occurred in the 12 months leading up to this review, suggesting that it’s on an upwards trajectory.
Of course, that’s true for many hemp and CBD brands, but for a relatively small startup that was founded by college roommates, that’s some impressive growth!
Plain Jane walks the walk—it is a big proponent of the US hemp industry. It runs an active blog that is populated with quality content relating to hemp and cannabis. The site is also littered with guides on cannabis, hemp, CBD, CBG, and legal issues.
What’s more is that the brand is very active on social media, with regular Instagram and Facebook posts showing off its many products.
At the time of writing, there are nearly 6,000 brand reviews on Trustpilot, with a total score of 4.6 and 85% of reviewers giving it the full 5/5.
Hemp Flower Varietals
Plain Jane sources hemp flower from growers in Oregon. These flowers are available in sizes from 3.5 grams to 454 grams (1 pound) and have varying levels of CBD and terpenes. All flowers are separated by how they make you feel, including:
- Trump 1: Best known simply as “T1,” this popular strain edges toward 18% CBD. It features dense buds with a strong citrus aroma and flavors of lemon, berries, and maple syrup.
- Bubba Kush CBD: A popular strain with a rich history, a citrus flavor, and big buds. It is said to be very relaxing and soothing.
- Pineberry: Created by Oregon CBD, this varietal offers around 13% CBD and is rich in terpenes like beta-caryophyllene, beta-myrcene, and alpha-pinene, combining aromas of cloves, citrus, and pine.
- The Wife Reserve: A sweet, tangy strain packed with over 16% CBD.
- T-1 Reserve: A very small batch T-1 varietal grown in greenhouses under controlled conditions.
- Pineapple Tsunami: A greenhouse-grown strain that first appeared in 2020. It is loaded with terpenes, has a strong flavor and aroma, and is said to resemble sweet berries and tangy citrus.
- Elektra CBD: Pine and citrus aromas are prominent in this high-CBD strain.
- Special Sauce: A hoppy and earthy varietal with around 19% CBD.
- Charlotte’s Web: With a CBD content of between 15 and 20%, this is a classic varietal that reviewers have been praising for years.
- Mongo CBD: Fragrances of pine, citrus, and mango are very obvious in this popular varietal. Mongo is often used for daytime relaxation.
- Stormy: A cross between two popular varietals: T-1 and Berry Blossom. It has around 14% CBD and has a sweet and woody aroma.
- Skywalker: Descends from popular cannabis strains OG and Skywalker, but with less than 0.3% THC. It possesses many of the same flavors as its lineage.
- Siskiyou Gold: Named after a mountain range in Southern Oregon, this native-OR strain is earthy and fruity with up to 18% CBD and hints of CBG.
- Purple Gas: Often used for daytime relaxation and analgesia, this strain has up to 18% CBD.
- Hawaiian Haze: Has an impressive CBD content of over 20%, with lots of tropical flavors.
- Kush CBD: Contains over 14% CBD, with gassy, sour, and fruity flavors.
- Golden Cherry: A cross between Cherry Wine and Black Rose, this strain has a rich and prominent cherry flavor.
- Suver Haze: A relaxing strain bred from Suver 8 and Early Resin Berry.
- Berry Blossom: A favorite amongst flower smokers, Berry Blossom has floral and berry flavors.
- Spec 7: Bred in Colorado, Spec 7 has dense buds and a varied terpene profile that creates many unique and mouthwatering aromas.
- CBG Hemp Flower: A CBG-dominant strain, with between 12 and 14% of this minor cannabinoid.
- Harle-Tsu: An award-winning varietal with strong genetics and approximately 13% CBD.
- Jack Herer: A unique cannabinoid and terpene profile provides an uplifting experience and a peppery, herbal flavor.
- Durban Diesel: Rich terpenes and around 21% CBD.
- Sour Space Candy: A multi-colored strain loaded with candy flavors.
- Stress Killer: An aptly-named varietal that can cheer you up on those long winter nights.
- Sour Diesel: Over 20% CBD, with detectable CBG and CBC, Sour Diesel is unique in both terpene and cannabinoid profile.
- Lifter CBD: Strong flavors of hops, with a peppery finish. Lifter is an uplifting and potent strain.
- Pineapple Haze: A tropical-taste is produced by this greenhouse-grown strain. It’s fruity and potent, with up to 18% CBD.
- Blueberry Diesel: A strain that produces an unmistakable diesel-like aroma dominated by fruits and sweetness.
- Otto 2 Franklin: The CBD content is low on this one, but the terpene profile is unique, featuring strong notes of soothing lavender and uplifting mint.
- Cat’s Meow: Grown in Hawaii and sourced in Oregon, Cat’s Meow is a pungent strain with an uncertain lineage.
- Berry Bliss: An indoor strain that produces around 11% CBD and has aromas of berries and lemon.
- Remission CBD: A little CBG and a lot of CBD, along with fruity and earthy flavors.
- Cloud 9: An uplifting strain that features 14% CBD on average.
- Blue Gas: A new varietal that is a cross between Avi Dekel and Blue Dream, with herbal and fruity flavors and 14% CBD.
- Hong Kong: A strain that is said to be very sweet and somewhat nutty.
Other Products Sold by Plain Jane
Along with its many smokable hemp flowers, Plain Jane sells a selection of pre-rolls, which have proved very popular with its growing customer base. These are available in several different styles with different varietals of hemp.
Other products include “Moon Rocks,” which combine hemp flower, kief, and CBD-concentrate, CBD and CBG oil, kief, CBD isolate and distillate, CBD salve, and CBD gummies.
You can also purchase several accessories, including branded lighters and t-shirts.