There are 16 ounces in a pound, and that’s an indisputable fact that never changes. But when it comes to measuring weed, there are still a few more questions that need to be addressed:
- What does a pound of weed look like?
- How many sessions can you have with a pound of weed?
- What does a pound of weed cost?
- If I buy an eighth of weed at a time, how much will a pound cost?
- And more
So, let’s get into it!
How Much is a Pound of Cannabis or Hemp Flower?
A pound is a lot but in terms of volume, its size can vary depending on the type of bud (fluffier buds will obviously look much larger).
Typically, a pound will fill a couple of the biggest Ziplock bags you can find, but it also depends on how tightly you are packing and whether it’s vacuum-sealed, etc. In other words, it’s really hard to paint a picture.
How Long Will a Pound of Weed Last?
If you’re smoking by yourself, a pound of weed is much more than you need. It will likely become dry and start to rapidly degrade long before you can finish it. That might seem like a challenge, but trust us, unless you have a huge tolerance and are smoking every day, it’s too much.
Even an ounce of weed will be a lot for many people and if you want the best qualities, it’s best to stick with smaller quantities of weed and just buy more as needed.
Of course, if you’re making edibles, it’s a different story. A pound of weed can be made into butter and baked goods and if you’re enjoying it with friends or keeping foodstuffs for the long-term, it’s not a completely ridiculous quantity to purchase.
How Much Does a Pound of Weed Cost?
The more weed that you buy, the cheaper it will be, and the discounts kick in quite quickly with cannabis.
A pound should cost around $2,000 to $3,000 on average, and while that seems like a huge sum, it’s fairly reasonable when you calculate the costs of buying smaller quantities of weed over a longer period.
An eighth of weed can cost you around $40 to $50, depending on the strain. There are 129 eighths in a pound, so if we assume an average price of $45 each, that equates to $5805 for a pound when ordered in small quantities.
Of course, that doesn’t mean that you should buy a pound, half pound, or even a quarter pound every time you’re at the dispensary. As noted above, it will dry out and degrade if it’s kept for long periods, so it’s best to buy only what you need.
How Many Ounces in a Pound of Weed?
There are 16 ounces in a pound of weed, but that won’t help you much if you’re a regular user buying small quantities. You can’t walk into a dispensary and ask for 1/128th of a pound, not without getting a confused stare in reply.
Weed and hemp flowers are sold in grams and ounces, so here are some equivalent sizes to help you out when you order:
Grams and Kilograms
There are a little over 28 grams in an ounce and 453.5 grams in a pound. If we get into the specifics, there are actually 453.592 grams in a pound and 28.34 grams in an ounce.
That’s because grams are used in the metric system and if you wanted to order a large quantity, you would order a kilogram or half a kilo. In the US/imperial system, it’s all ounces and pounds and not grams or kilograms.
However, if you order a pound of cannabis, you won’t get 453.5 grams. You won’t even get 453.5 grams. Weed is rounded down to the nearest tenth, so a pound of marijuana is actually 448 grams and the usual measurements look like this:
- 1/8 Ounce = 3.5 Grams
- 1/4 Ounce = 7 Grams
- 1/2 Ounce = 14 Grams
- 1 Ounce = 28 Grams
- 1 Pound = 453 Grams
- 35 Ounces (2.1 Pounds) = 1 Kilogram (1,000 Grams)
Ounces and Pounds
Metric measurements are often used for smaller amounts of weed and hemp flower, especially on online dispensaries. It’s not uncommon to see “3.5 grams” instead of an eighth, for instance. However, understanding ounces and pounds is usually enough to get you by:
- 1/8th (an Eighth of an Ounce) = 1/128 of a Pound
- 1/4 (a Quarter of an Ounce) = 1/64 of a Pound
- 1/2 (Half an Ounce) = 1/32 of a Pound
- 1 Ounce = 1/16th of a Pound
- 4 Ounces = Quarter Pound (1/2 lb.)
- 8 Ounces = Half Pound (1/2 lb.)
- 16 Ounces = 1 Pound (1 lb.)
Summary: How Many Ounces in a Pound of Weed
As you can see, the question posed at the beginning of this article isn’t as simple and straightforward as it initially seems.
- There are 16 ounces in one pound.
- A pound of weed is a lot and probably much more than you need.
- There are 453.5 grams in a pound, but where weed is concerned, it gets rounded down to 448 grams.
- It’s best to stick with smaller quantities of weed (such as 3.5 grams or 1/8th if you’re a beginner and an ounce if you have a higher tolerance).
- It’s important to know how many grams/ounces you’re getting but it’s not all about weight when it comes to weed.